Overcoming Math Anxiety:
If you worry a lot about doing well in math class, you may have math anxiety. The following tips can help you overcome your anxiety and do better in math.
1. Know that everyone can learn math if he or she works hard.
2. Think positively. Instead of telling yourself that you cannot do well in math, tell yourself that you can.
3. Participate in class activities.
4. Pay attention to your teacher’s lessons and explanations.
5. Take accurate notes during class. Review your notes when you do your homework.
6. Ask questions if you do not understand something.
7. Complete all of your classwork and homework.
8. Work hard. Do not give up easily on challenging problems.
9. When you are working on a tough problem and you start to worry that you cannot solve it, give your mind a short break. Take a deep breath, and then exhale deeply. Relax and think of something pleasant—a fun time you had with your family or friends. Return to the problem fresh and ready to find a solution.
10. Find a math study buddy. Working together makes learning math easier.
11. Begin studying for math tests a few days ahead of time. Do not wait until the night before. Preparation is a key to success.
12. Look at math anxiety as being a problem you can solve. You just have to work hard.